PCBC Sermon Podcast
Listen to PCBC sermons online, and find additional commentary and resources.
Throwback Thursday – June 16, 2019
Subscribe to the PCBC Podcast and listen on any number of devices.
This past Sunday, on Father’s Day, Pastor Bill shared 10 Ways that God is the Perfect Father! Let’s review them:
1. His patience and kindness never run out.
If you’ve ever felt you used up whatever patience or kindness your dad once had, you don’t have to worry about overextending your Heavenly Father. His patience and kindness never run out!
Psalm 103:17 says, “From everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children.”
Psalm 106:1 says, “For he is good; his love endures forever.”
2. He is always approachable.
God is never too busy or distracted for His children. When you are in relationship with His Son, Christ Jesus, you have complete access to your Heavenly Father’s ear, His heart, and His focused attention. His door is always open for you!
Hebrews 4:16 tells us we can, “Draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
Psalm 138:3, “When I called, you answered me; you greatly emboldened me,” letting us know God is never too busy to hear our cries and come to our rescue.
3. You will never have to earn his love.
Romans 5:8, “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
4. You will never lose his love.
Romans 8:38-39, “Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
5. He has your very best in mind.
Romans 8:32, “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things.”
Matthew 7:11 , “If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”
6. He loves you enough to discipline you.
Discipline done correctly is a demonstration of love. God’s discipline is always right!
Proverbs 3:11-12, “Do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.”
7. His timing is perfect.
Psalm 84:11, “No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly.”
8. He gives wisdom generously.
James 1:5, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”
9. He lets you make your own choices.
Psalm 25:12, “Who is the man who fears the LORD? He will instruct him in the way he should choose.”
10. He knows everything about you.
Psalm 139: 1-3, “You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.”
God knows your thoughts before you think them, your words before you say them, and your actions before you carry them out. And with all that intimate knowledge of you, He continues to love you like the perfect Father. This is why we can cry out, Abba—Daddy—Father!
POINTS TO PONDER:
1. Think through the above 10 ways that describe just how Good our Heavenly Father is has been to you. Which of the 10 ways stands out the most to you? Why?
2. Who can you share the above truth with today? Don’t wait. Call them. Take them to lunch. Find them and share with them how God has specifically demonstrated His love to you lately as your Heavenly Father.
3. Who do you personally know that needs to know God as his/her Heavenly Father? Now, prayerfully go and share with him/her the glorious Gospel of the Lord Jesus!