PCBC Sermon Podcast
Listen to PCBC sermons online, and find additional commentary and resources.
Throwback Thursday – September 29, 2019
Subscribe to the PCBC Podcast and listen on any number of devices.
This week we kicked off a brand new series titled “Praise and Thanksgiving”. We talked Sunday about how a fully devoted follower of Jesus is a person of worship. Pastor Bill reminded us that worship is not just songs we sing, it’s every part of us being submitted to God. Who we are, what we think, what we do, where we go… we can use all of those things to worship the Lord. We’re going to focus a lot this series on Psalm 100:1-5, which says,
“Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth.
Serve the Lord with gladness;
Come before Him with joyful singing.
Know that the Lord Himself is God;
It is HE who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving
And His courts with praise.
Give thanks to Him, bless His Name.
For the Lord is good;
His lovingkindness is everlasting
And His faithfulness to all generations.”
Pastor Bill asked the questions, “Why should we engage in such worship?”
- Because God is good! The goodness of God is seen in His moral character and in His benevolence toward us.
- Because God’s mercy is everlasting. “Mercy” here means “covenant-love”. God has bound us to Himself in a covenant that He will never revoke or abandon.
- Because His truth endures to all generations. God and His self-revelation can be counted on, not only by ourselves, but by all who will follow us in years to come.
POINTS TO PONDER:
1. How does focusing on praising God because He IS good vs. praising Him just for the good He does change things for you?
2. Do you find it harder to praise God when life is challenging?
3. What are some ways you can start habits of praise this week?